Monday 28 October 2013

A momentary lapse of unreason

October half-term means holidays, and we'd normally be on the Isles of Scilly by now. Not this year though as we went in August, so I'm at home and free to twitch with abandon. However, I seem to have mislaid my cheque book, and temporarily regained my sanity, so rather than thinking about chartering choppers to Lundy, flights to Unst or speedboats to Rum my thoughts turned to local birding today. And very rewarding it was too:
This Barn Owl perched on the roof of the hide I was sitting in at Middlebere before giving a close flypast...
...and alighting briefly on a post in front of the hide.
The Barn Owl was out quite early - about 1600
This male Hen Harrier hunted alongside the track at Middlebere
A Migrant Hawker at Swineham had survived the overnight winds
A distant Merlin was at Bestwall
This late Wheatear had been blown in to Swineham Point...
...and a equally late Red Admiral was also on the wing.

No comments:

Post a Comment