Wednesday 12 May 2021

(A complete absence of) April showers: part 3

I had done pretty well with additions to the non-motorised year list in the first half of April, and had a number of targets for the rest of the month which ought to fall into place if I was willing the make the effort. A 30 mile jaunt on 16th in the middle of a week's leave saw me heading back to Studland early morning (with the first Cuckoo of 2021 heard en route on Hartland Moor) to tick one of the tiny colony of Ring-necked Parakeet which resides there. 

Puffin, Dancing Ledge (16th April)
Puffin, Dancing Ledge (16th April)

Puffin, Dancing Ledge (16th April)
With Parakeet in the bag I returned to Dancing Ledge for a second attempt of the year at another tiny colony of colourful Dorset favourites: Puffins. I had arranged to meet the family there and we enjoyed a pleasant picnic lunch on the ledge - but of Puffins there was no sign.

Brimstone, Studland (16th April)

Shag, Dancing Ledge, 16th April

Fulmar, Durlston (24th April)
The rest of the team were getting restless after a couple of hours but I was determined to stick it out until a Puffin appeared so while they headed off, I nodded off as the exertions of the day took their toll. On waking, there was still no sign of a Puffin but within the hour a bashful pair dropped down from an unseen position on the cliff for a wash and brush up in the early evening light. As I was packing up to leave, my first Fulmar of the year floated past capping an excellent day.
Whinchat, Stoborough Heath (21st April)

Whinchat, Stoborough Heath (21st April)

Whinchat, Stoborough Heath (21st April)
Sunday the 18th was my last day off before returning to work and I headed out into Rempstone Forest more for some exercise than to add to the list. Whilst I was deep in the forest, news broke of a pair of Garganey at Longham Lakes on the other side of Poole Harbour. I dismissed the idea of going for them but after about an hour, I calculated that I could just about do it and still be back in time to cook my obligatory Sunday roast. From my position on the southern shore of Poole Harbour the quickest route would have been via the Studland ferry - but that would have involved motorised transport, so prohibited for the purposes of the year list. There was nothing for it then but to go the long way around.
Wheatear, Stoborough Heath, 21st April

A couple of Green Sandpiper were on and off at Swineham since January (taken 17th April)
At least 1 Little Ringed Plover was at Swineham most days through late April (taken 17th)
After a 20 mile canter I arrived at Longham to find no-one looking for the Garganey, but helpful directions on the local grapevine suggested I should head for a bench on the far side of the south lake. The same directions suggested that a telescope would be needed to see the distant birds. I didn't have such a thing about my person, but my trusty Swaro 10x32s soon picked up the Garganey scudding around an island on the lake and the camera enabled a couple of records shots.

Drake Garganey, Longham Lakes (18th April)

Pair of Garganey, Longham Lakes (18th April)

Wheatear, Stoborough Heath (18th April)
The gamble had paid off, and I was buzzing all the way home as a result of seeing these birds on the back of such an effort - a 44 mile day in total. Hilariously, four days later I would find my own pair of Garganey within walking distance of home at Swineham! But there were no regrets: the great thing about the cycling was that the exercise was doing me the power of good and there was no such thing as a 'wasted' journey.
I 'fell off the wagon' a couple of times in April, driving to Portland on rest days between cycling trips - once for this Wryneck on 17th 
Ring Ouzel also on Portland on 17th - this a male (by car)
Female Ring Ouzel, Portland 17th April (by car)
During the latter part of the month, Whinchat, Whitethroat, Swift and Garden Warbler were all added to the list closer to home on either Stoborough Heath or Wareham Common while an enjoyable afternoon visit to Durlston on 24th, necessitated by my failure to see Razorbill on two earlier trips to Dancing Ledge, saw me add not just that species but a bonus flock of Manx Shearwater in a brief seawatch. 

Razorbill, Durlston (24th April)

Guillemot, Durlston (24th April)

Razorbill, Durlston (24th April)
I thought that would be it for the month and that April would end with the tally on 169, frustratingly short of a nice round 170 - but a cheeky Stilt twitch on the final day of the month nudged me on to that important milestone. 
Durlston Auks, 24th April

No comments:

Post a Comment