Monday 8 May 2023

[Insert Tern pun of your choice here]

 'Monday megas' are the curse of the working birder, and a privilege usually reserved for the work-shy and retired, who seem make up about 90% of the birding population in these parts. The discovery of a Forster's Tern at Lytchett Bay early on 24th March was, however, sufficiently early in the day and sufficiently close to home to enable a quick smash and grab, though it was only seen thanks to a drive of shame as time didn't allow an attempted twitch by bike. This would, however, be a prized addition to the non-motorised list so I took advantage of the increasingly light evenings to head over after work for another look. 

Forster's Tern, Lytchett Bay
The Tern was not seen that evening, though I did see my first Hobby of the year, and to rub salt in I got caught in torrential rain before I could get to the train station at nearby Hamworthy to save my legs for another attempt early the following morning. This meant chalking the Hobby off the non-motorised yearlist as the journey would not be completed under my own steam, but it was a price worth paying to conserve some energy, which it sounded like I might need as the Tern was picked up in the Brownsea roost via a webcam as dusk approached.
Forster's Tern, Lytchett Bay
I passed Shaun Robson as I approached the Rock Lea viewpoint bright and early the next morning and he reassured me that the Tern was still present. On arrival at the viewpoint proper though three birders with telescopes broke the unwelcome news that it was out of view. They pointed out where it had landed and I set up my own scope in the hope that I would eventually see it move. 
Forster's Tern, Lytchett Bay
I didn't have to wait long as scanning the bank behind which it was allegedly perched I picked it up actually sitting on the saltmarsh. Alerting the others we all watched it until it took off shortly after and gradually made its way towards us, enabling excellent views and a few photos to be taken, albeit against the light. I was back at my desk in good time for work and with a smile on my face. 
Forster's Tern, Lytchett Bay
As the day progressed news of another rarity, a Woodchat Shrike, filtered through, the bird being just west of Swanage. Like the recent Hoopoe in the same area, this bird had been reported late the previous day before then skillfully relocated by local birder Rob Johnson. At 10 miles away it was a bit further than the Forster's Tern, but still close enough to be 'do-able' after work. I added Woodchat to the non-motorised year list in 2021 and 2022 in Bournemouth and Portland respectively, and this was certainly closer than either of those. 
Woodchat Shrike, Herston
I was away soon after finishing work but a headwind slowed my progress towards Herston and things got worse when I took the wrong route, overshooting the site of the bird, and had to lift the bike over a couple of gates to get back on track. Phil Saunders was on-site and relayed the disconcerting news that the bird had been chased, and possibly killed, by a Sparrowhawk, and had not been seen for 45 minutes. 
Woodchat Shrike, Herston
Whilst I continued to struggle to get my bearings, Phil rang again to say he had relocated the Woodchat so all I had to do now was find Phil! What3words came to the rescue and as I eventually rolled down a large cattle field towards him, he pointed out the Shrike within seconds of arrival. I could relax, compose myself and get a few photos in glorious evening light. It had been quite the day, and I capped it off by meeting my wife and son (whose girlfriend lives in Swanage) for dinner before cycling home in the dark. 
Woodchat Shrike, Herston
So April was pretty good for local birding and despite dipping Black-winged Stilts at both Keyhaven and Lodmoor, a Hoopoe, a Dipper, two Night Herons, a Ring Ouzel, a Scaup and a Dotterel were all seen on the bike during the month. Let's hope May continues in the same vein.
Woodchat Shrike, Herston

No comments:

Post a Comment