Wednesday 26 October 2011

Porth Hellick

Another quiet-ish day on St Mary's with no new major rarities found, though I had yet to catch up with a White-rumped Sandpiper which had been reported at Porth Hellick at various points in recent days. Arriving late in the day I met a birder on the beach who confirmed it was still present on a rocky promontory nearby with Ringed Plover, but by the time I got there only the Ringed Plover were present unfortunately. Being but one member of the family on a family holiday, I'm not always in a position to drop everything for rarities as they turn up but another good thing about Scilly is the tendency of good birds to stick around. As a result - would be Dad's please note - I don't think I've missed much over the years. Hopefully this was the exception to prove the rule. This Whimbrel and Black Redstart showed reasonably well in the fading light. The former revealed a white rump in flight, eliminating the possibility every optimist carries with them - namely that of it being the recently split Hudsonian Whimbrel. 




No comments:

Post a Comment