Friday 3 August 2012

Personal best

With the family away on a camping trip, I've been free to nip out birding in the evenings after work this week. Unfortunately this rare opportunity has coincided with an even rarer one in the form of the Olympics, and I think I clocked a personal best on the round trip to Swineham gravel pits to get back in time for the evening's TV coverage.

Wood Sandpiper
A Wood Sandpiper present on Tuesday was still there but had been joined by a Little Gull, and a small flock of 13 Black-tailed Godwits grew to over 240 during the next hour of an incoming tide in Poole Harbour. Not bad for a flooded field that shouldn't even be flooded at this time of year.
Little Gull
Earlier in the week I flushed a Kingfisher from a wooden pier on the River Frome so I approached the same spot carefully this evening and - bingo. Usually they see you before you see them but this one cocked it's head at me and allowed me to reel off a few shots before heading down river.
Kingfisher

No comments:

Post a Comment