Tuesday 11 April 2017

Bog trotting

The warm weather tempted me out onto the local heaths last weekend, Morden Bog being a particular favourite at this time of year. Emperor Moths were whirling past in the heat but I was unable to find one perched. This has long been a photographic target for me and I am determined to achieve it one day, and without the aid of a pheromone lure! Fortunately there is still plenty of the spring left to persevere. In the meantime, some offerings from the weekend: 
The first thing I stumbled across was not a sign of the developing spring but the outgoing winter: a Great Grey Shrike.
Close views of an impressive bird - it will soon be heading off for its breeding grounds
This well camouflaged Woodlark flushed form the path and perched above me briefly
A Yellowhammer was easier to spot
Stonechat is always prominent on the heathlands...
...and Dartford Warblers are more evident at this time of year.
Siskin was among the songsters at Morden Bog...
...as was the Mistle Thrush - a haunting song
A migrant Wheatear was out on the heath
Judging by the webbed rear feet I believe this to be a Palmate Newt - photographed in a large puddle on a heathland path
A Stoat was also a welcome surprise at Morden Bog
And finally, one of the most sought after spring migrants has returned to the Bog: Common Redstart, a singing male

No comments:

Post a Comment