Sunday 16 March 2014

Headbangers

It's taken me years to see Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers in Dorset, testament not just to what a duffer I am but also to how difficult they have become to catch up with. All that changed in Wareham Forest this weekend and while I didn't exactly have them drumming on my lens cap like this one photographed superbly by Brett Spencer yesterday, I was happy to get some record shots of a pair. A Great Spotted was battering its head on the same tree and Green Woodpeckers flying around the same area completed the set.
Male Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in flight
Female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
Female Great Spotted Woodpecker - compare with previous shot
Woodlark was also present near the Woodpeckers
Brimstones confirmed the arrival of Spring
Grey Squirrel
Fieldfare were shipping out as the warmer weather arrived
And this Great Grey Shrike in Wareham Forest won't be around for long either

No comments:

Post a Comment