Wednesday 11 February 2015

Binge birding continued...

This post is the final hangover from a weekend of binge birding around Poole Harbour. Holes Bay certainly provided the highlights on Sunday - as well as the Spoonbill, waiting patiently by the PC World drain outflow provided ample opportunity to get up close and personal with a variety of other good birds.
This Buzzard was one of two scanning for prey from lampposts on the dual carriageway around Holes Bay. Buzzard has already appeared on my blog this year but the photo was taken in 2014 so this is officially an addition to the photo year list (#79). I know, mad isn't it!
This Common Sandpiper was one of two present. I walked most of the length of the bay without seeing one but when I sat by the outflow both dropped in.
Another addition to the photo year list (#80). Bang it in!

Cormorant also graced the outflow (#81)...
...while I had to walk further up the drain to find Grey Wagtail (#82)...
...and Kingfisher (#83)
Spotted Redshank, one of my favourite birds, can give close views around the edge of the Bay
Spotted Redshank
On Sunday morning I also paid what felt like my first visit of the year to Swineham. Yes, my allegiance to patch has become that degenerate. I was rewarded for my efforts: as in, not much effort, not much reward. It did at least add a few ropey ticks to the photo year list:

Goldfinch, making its first appearance this year (#84)
Great Tit (#85) - singing like it was spring
Redwing in the shadows in Lady St Mary Churchyard, Wareham
Male Reed Bunting at Swineham
Robin at Swineham
Shelduck at Swineham (#86)
Several Common Snipe flushed from the wet grass around Swineham (#87)
Stock Dove (#88) with Lapwing in the paddocks at North Bestwall
Snowdrops added a spring-like feel to Sunday morning
My last photo year tick of the weekend was a Coal Tit seen on a family walk around Wareham Forest (#89)
The Fellowship of the Ging, Wareham Forest

Little Egret showing off its plumes in Holes Bay


No comments:

Post a Comment