Monday 28 February 2022

A trip to the chain store

I implied in a recent post that I'd saved a load of money on fuel with all the cycling. This is of course true, but in the interests of full disclosure I should point out that it's not a totally cost-free option, at least not when done to excess. I bought the new bike in June last year - a mid-range model around the £600 mark - and have done about 2,000 miles on it so far. Apart from a bunch of inner tubes and a new rear tyre - the old one went bald at around 1,500 miles - the only maintenance had been a few broken spokes, fixed under warranty, and now hopefully remedied as I have a new front-handlebar bag which holds my travel tripod and dinky MM4 scope, thus spreading the weight which I suspect was putting too much pressure on the rear wheel. 

Marsh Harrier - after illness kept me off the bike for 2 weeks I broke myself back into it gently with a trundle to Middlebere (10 miles round trip) 
Funny looking Osprey at Middlebere
Friday saw me back in Wareham Forest where a few Crossbills kept their distance - here a male...
...and here a female

Firecrest in Wareham Forest on Friday
Firecrest
Firecrest
Firecrest
But recently there have been some grinding noises and unhealthy sounding feedback coming from the transmission so I booked it in to my local bike store for a service. A phone call soon after I dropped it off was the first sign of trouble. 'Has it had, err, a lot of use since you got it?'. Why yes I replied, about 250 miles per month on average. 'That would explain it then!'. Not only had my chain worn well beyond the normal extent to justify replacement but various cogs, cranks and sprockets (all very technical) had done likewise. The long and the short of it was that what started as a £40 routine service quickly escalated into a quote for £270 worth of parts and labour. 
My first butterfly of the year was this tattered Red Admiral in Wareham Forest on 25th 
First Adder of the year was at Durlston on 26th
This smart male Black Redstart was my main target at Durlston on Saturday 26th 
I located him at Tilly Whim caves, a regular haunt 
Fulmar giving great views at Durlston
Durlston Razorbills bobbing below the breeding ledges
A few Guillemot still in winter plumage
Fulmar

Although it's getting on for half the cost of the bike, there isn't much option but to get the work done of course, and it does come with the promise that the bike will run as good as new (which was very good) from the trustworthy team at my local bike shop. Plus, 2,000 miles in my car at 60mpg and £7 per gallon would have cost almost the same if one includes a bit of wear and tear on the vehicle. So in the round it's not a bad deal for the pleasure I've had from it over the last 8 months.

After the 12 mile ride to Durlston, another 5 took me to Studland where Ring-necked Parakeet was my next target
Just the one showed nicely near Fort Henry

Most of the Black-necked Grebes off Studland are now in summer plumage
A very smart plumage
Feeding on some kind of Pipefish
Black-necked Grebe (left) and Slavonian Grebe, Studland, 26th February
Slavonian Grebe still in winter garb
Slavonian Grebe
A bout of illness earlier this month somewhat curtailed my cycling efforts in the second half of February, but by the end of last week's half-term holiday I was well enough to put some miles back on the clock and add a few decent birds to the 2022 year list - highlights of which adorn this post. Friday saw me back in Wareham Forest where Crossbill and Firecrest were added.
Old Harry Rocks from Durlston
Med Gull at Studland, 26th February
Med Gull
Med Gull
Med Gull
Med Gull
Med Gull
Med Gull
Saturday morning's forecast also looked good so I headed for Swanage and Durlston Country Park to add a few seabirds and a lovely male Black Redstart to the list. I was feeling fresh enough after that for the climb up to Studland where I met up with the family for a late lunch and views of one of the local Ring-necked Parakeets. Sunday saw me back in Wareham Forest (for Dartford Warbler) before heading back to Swineham for one more look at the Tundra Bean Geese. This took my total mileage to just over 100 for February - my lowest monthly total since 2020. But just wait 'til that new chain arrives! 
3 Common Scoter were also off South Beach on Saturday - this a female...
...and this a male
Brambling, Wareham Forest
Dartford Warbler, Wareham Forest
House Sparrow, Wareham Forest
Yellowhammer, Wareham Forest
Yellowhammer, Wareham Forest
Tundra Bean Goose close but through a hedge at Swineham, 27th Feb
Nice to see these birds in the sunshine at last
All 3 still present and correct
Med Gull at Studland, 26th Feb

No comments:

Post a Comment